Sunday, October 29, 2017

Ask Barry? Column

Hi Gang It's me Barry. Time for another Ask Barry? Q&A session.
Mary Anne Morbly asks What singer, duo or group would you love to record a song with?
Barry Next year I'm doing a concert with a bunch of other recording artists to benefit the anti bulling campaign "Say No To Bulling." The benefit concert will take place on Saturday January 6, 2018 at London's O2 arena. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is going to be on stage performing with all of us artists. A bunch of us recording got to pick other artists we wanted to perform on stage with. Like Sir. Paul McCartney gets to perform with U2 on the Beatle's tune Hey Jude. I'm on stage with Cyndi Lauper and we're doing a duet on her song True Colors. K.T. Tunstall is doing a duet with Tears For Fears on their song Shout. Bruno Mars and Sr. Elton John on Your Song. Also other artists doing duets with their favorite recording artists. At the end of the two hour concert all of us will come out on stage to sing John Lennon's Imagine. I get the honor of playing piano during that song. The entire concert is being recorded live for the album called I Am Somebody. Yes I Am Somebody Not A Nobody and I have feelings too.  Cyndi Lauper and I are one day going to record an album together. We met on my Live By Request Christmas Special years back. We've been friends ever since. I think her pink hair is kind of cool.

Susan Schaefer asks Is there anywhere you haven't performed that you'd like to?
Barry I recently got a letter from a fan named Ineke who lives in Reykjavik Iceland. Ineke asked if I was ever going to come to Reykjavik Iceland? I sent Ineke a personal letter telling her that I was actually looking into performing in Reykjavik Iceland. Also some other Canadian Provinces. Such has Halifax Nova Scotia, Fredericton New Brunswick, Charlottetown Prince Edward Island and St. John New Brunswick. Also Nuuk Greenland and Reykjavik Iceland. I told her that when I did the concerts in these places it would be during the summer of 2019. I sent Ineke an autographed vinyl copy of my latest album Williamsburg. With that I also sent her two tickets to my One Night Only Williamsburg Benefit concert at the Barclay Center on Sunday December 10th. The concert benefits Charlie's Rescue, The Manilow Music Project and The One Voice Foundation. I figured she might want to bring a Barry Buddy with her to see the show.

Patty Lane asks What kind of album can we expect from you in the near future?
Barry I want to do an original duets album. I want to do duets with Alanis Morrissette, Alicia Keys,
Cyndi Lauper, Carol King, Melissa Manchester, Corinne Bailey Rae and Gwen Stefani. All of these ladies are great songwriters. So I love to write a song with each one of them. I have my Putting It Together The Songs of Stephen Sondheim album. I did a duet on Somewhere with Cyndi Lauper. Some reporter asked me why I didn't do the duet with Barbra Streisand. I told him Brian Murphy is friends with her not me. There is also my Only In Chicago album that's half finished. One thing that
I want to do is to play the Ravinia Festival again. Next year 2018 I'm doing two nights at the Ravinia festival. The dates are Tuesday August 28th and Wednesday August 29th. The last time I played at the Ravinia Festival was in 1990 on Tuesday August 28th and Wednesday August 29th 1990. That was 29 years when I brought my Showstoppers Tour to Ravinia. Both nights will be recorded live for the Williamsburg Tour Live four disc box set. Two disc live album and two disc DVD's. This year while I played Red Rocks Amphitheater I wanted to audio and video tape the two weekend shows. Saturday July 8th and Sunday July 9th. However my usual recording engineer Ken Newman had to have emergency gallbladder surgery then. So I had to cancel the recording equipment that was going to be used at Red Rocks Amphitheater to record the those two shows for the four disc Williamsburg Tour Live Album and DVD box set. Thanks to Mary Anne, Susan and Patty for their questions. Keep those questions  coming everyone.
Love,
Barry



No comments:

Post a Comment