Sunday, October 22, 2017

Ask Barry? Column.


Hi Gang It's me Barry and I'm resurrecting my Ask Barry? column once again. Todays questions are from Vicki Smith, Kathy Rooney Henry, Janice Primavara, Pamela Height and Rita Zucker.
Vicki asks
Barry I know you run every other day. What brand of running shoes do you wear?
Barry Well Vicki  I did wear Nike brand for a short while. However they bothered my feet a lot. So I went back to wearing Adidas brand running shoes. I have three pairs of Adidas running shoes right now. I have Adidas Galaxy Elite  blue and white. Adidas Ultra Boost aqua, blue and orange. Adidas Ultra Boost ST. Grey and Navy. Most running shoes are only good for six to seven months of running. However they're still good for bicycling, mowing the lawn, walking and wearing around the house.  Now that's how I keep my 6'0" 165lbs frame in such great shape. Oh and BW my shoe size is 13D.

Kathy asks
What other types of exercise do you do besides running? 
Barry Besides running I like to go bicycling, mountain biking, swimming and walking  Now I'm sure you want to know what kinds of bicycles I have. I have a Rocky Mountain Altitude carbon mountain bicycle. That one's purple, blue, gold with black tires. My other bicycle is a Cylo One Urban bicycle. That one's black with white tires. Yes Barry goes mountain biking. I'm sure someone started freaking out when I mentioned mountain biking. Now this past summer while I was on tour I packed my mountain bike onto one of trailer trucks. On free days that's what I did I went mountain biking when we were near any mountains. I did do that after my five night run at Red Rocks Amphitheater outside of Denver. I took my mountain bike and I did mountain biking up around Red Rocks. The scenery up there is breathtaking.  I've also gone mountain biking up in Aspen with my friend John Denver.

Janice asks
Is there anything that we don't know about you that might surprise us?
Barry Most of you know that I got my bachelors, masters and doctorate from Julliard Music School. I triple majored in arranging, conducting and orchestration. My minor was piano. Then what most of you know is I am a good cook. I had to learn to cook after I divorced Susan. A man can't continually go out to eat. Or eat caned and frozen food all the time. I taught myself how to cook. I some of my grandmothers recipes. Like her roast chicken,  pot roast, all of her cookie recipes and some others.  Then in 1992 I took the bull by the horns and decided to go to culinary school. So I enrolled at the CIA. You did what? Barry. You enrolled at the CIA. But the CIA is part of the US government. How could you enroll in the government? I didn't enroll in the government. The CIA is also short for The Culinary Institute of America which is in Hyde Park New York. I graduated in 1997 with a bachelors degree in culinary arts. I was top in my graduating class.  The other thing you fans don't know is I've been working on getting my gastro pub opened called BARRY'S British American Gastro Pub in Williamsburg. It will open on Saturday October 21st. The food is British and American pub fare.

Rita asks
What are some of your favorite cities and states to visit?
Barry some of my favorite states besides New York are Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont. New Hampshire, Michigan, Texas. Colorado, Oregon and Washington. Now my favorite cities beside New York City are East Hampton, Albany, Saratoga Springs, Lake George, Lake Luzerne,  Boston Cape Cod Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Portland ME, Burlington , Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Travers City. Denver, Bolder Aspen, Austin, San Antonio, Portland OR, Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver BC, Toronto OT, Montreal QB, Quebec QB and all of Nova Scotia. I use to like California however it got too celebrity for me.  From San Diego to San Francisco California is loaded with celebs and people who love to finger point. Their pointing fingers at people they think are gay like me. I got a lot of finger pointing at me while I lived in both LA and Palm Springs. Prior to moving out west I never got the finger pointing while living here in NYC.

Pamela asks
Who are some of the famous people you've met over the years?
Barry My famous friends are Bette Midler, Alanis Morrisette, Melissa Manchester, Cyndi Lauper, Carole King Annie Lenox, Dave Benoit, Chris Botti, Brian Culbertson, Ray Charles, John Denver, Benny Goodman, Kenny G., Billy Joel, Dave Koz and Richard Marx. After graduating from culinary school I got to meet Anne Burrell, Rachel Ray, Ina Garten, Bobby Flay, Michael Simon and Mario Batali.   I also got my culinary arts degree in 1997 from  The Culinary Institute of America. I was top
in my class. I was married for a year and four months to my first wife. After we got divorced I had to do for myself. Well eating out, eating canned and frozen dinners was not going to cut it. So I had to learn how to cook real meals. Which is what I did after I got recipes from my grandma. My mom thought her son (me) was nuts for going to school to get my culinary arts degree. But I could hear my grandma saying go for it Barry.

Thanks for the great question gang. Until next week's Ask Barry? column. Keep those questions coming everyone. I love answering your questions.
Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment