Sunday, December 3, 2017

My Dear Friend Mundell Lowe


It is with a heavy heart that I let you know my dear friend James Mundell Lowe passed away Saturday December 2, 2017. Mundell as he was better known played with a lot of great artists.
Back in 1984 I asked Mundell Lowe to play on my first album. It was a jazz album called 2:00AM Paradise Café. I had also asked drummer Shelly Manne, basest George Duvivier, saxophonist Gerry Mulligan and keyboard/pianist Billy Mays to play on the album. I then invited  jazz vocalists Mel Torme (The Velvet Fog) and Sarah Vaughan to sing duets on the album with me. Sarah and did a duet on Blue and Mel and did a duet on Big City Blues. Shelly, George, Mundell, Gerry and Billy had never played together and they were very excited to do so. "The entire albumwas rehearsed for three days, then recorded live (in one take) without overdubs at Westlake Studio "C" in Los Angeles California in 1984. All of us who took part in the recording of this album were surprised when it did so well. This is your first foray into being a recording artist. Your first record album goes quadruple platinum and lands at number one on Billboards Hot 200 Album Chart. Then stays at number one for three straight months. Goes on further to win  Grammy's for Album Of The Year (200AM Paradise Café)  Barry Manilow artist/producer, Michael Brawnstein engineer Deni King and Greg Laney co-engineers. Record Of The year (2:00AM Paradise Café)  Song Of The Year (When October Goes) Barry Manilow music Johnny Mercer lyrics. Best Jazz Vocal Album (2:00AM Paradise Café) Barry Manilow. Four Grammy Awards for my first ever record album. I sang my song When October Goes and I did Big City Blues with Mel Torme on the nineteen eighty five Grammy Awards. Wow!! What a thrill. Thanks to all of you my dear ones for making  2:00AM Paradise Café such a huge success.
Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment