Saturday, March 14, 2015

You're Invited

The invitation on the front read. Come celebrate our Happily Ever After. Inside it said You're invited to the wedding of Carly Nicole Simon and Barry Manilow on Sunday September 6, 2015 at 3:00PM  B'nai Avarham of Brooklyn 117 Remsen St. Brooklyn, New York 11201 Reception to follow at  6:00PM The Palm House at Brooklyn Botanic Gardens 990 Washington Avenue Brooklyn, New York 11225 RSVP BY June 19, 2015. The invitation had two calla lilies on the front of  the white  invitation.  The wedding was going to take place at the B'nai Avraham Orthodox Synagogue in Brooklyn at 3:00 PM. Carly's parents John and Norah Simon were going to walk their daughter down the aisle. Since both his parents and step-dad had passed away. Barry was going to walk down the aisle with his cousins Dennis and Olivia.The flowers in the synagogue were going to be  mango calla lilies. The reception would be at 6:00PM  at The Palm House at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. Before the reception there would be time for Carly and Barry to take photos with their bridal party.  Carly and Barry had decided to have a small intimate wedding with very close family and friends. Then a year later on Sunday September 5, 2016 they would have a larger blowout reception for those not invited to the actual wedding and reception. The bigger reception would take place at the New York Marriot at the Brooklyn Bridge.  Since The Palm House capacity was 300 people only. People in the music business who already knew about the wedding. Asked if Barry had invited Clive Davis to the wedding. Barry said no because I wasn't really close with Clive Davis like Brian Murphy was. I only recorded five albums for his Arista label. They were  2:00AM Paradise CafĂ©, Swing Street, Showstoppers, Singing With The Big Bands  and Manilow Sings Sinatra . I left Arista for Concord Records when Clive Davis started asking me to do cover albums. That was after Clive came back to Arista. I put my foot down and told him no  to the covers. Unlike Brian Murphy who said yes to doing covers for Clive. I meet Glen Barros the head of Concord Records at a party in 2000. I liked what his label stood for creative freedom. At Concord records I've got total creative freedom. My albums  at Concord  so far are Here At The Mayflower, Scores Songs From Copacabana and Harmony, In The Swing Of Christmas, Night Songs and New York State Of Mind. My Broadway cast albums came out on Columbia Records. Then Columbia changed their Broadway label to Sony Columbia Broadway Masterworks. Now Broadway label is the Masterworks Broadway label. Columbia for a while quit putting out cast albums. The Broadway label was called Sony Columbia Broadway Masterworks. Now it's called Masterworks Broadway. I've always kept my Broadway cast albums  on one label. While my Jazz albums I've keep on another label. I'm actually on Concord's Concord Jazz label. I'm label mates with Kenny (G.) Gorlick and Dave Koz. For a while Kenny G. and I were on Arista. While Dave Koz and I are good friends. I want to get some of my other friends like Melissa Manchester, Dionne Warwick and Nancy Wilson to switch to Concord Records. said Barry. I heard Brian Murphy tried his own record label. But that fizzled out. So now Brian Murphy's on  Verve records said Barry. Some people say David Foster is also famous for making his artists do covers. Maybe that's why Brian Murphy put out My Dream Duets for his first album on Verve. Just think this coming Friday I'm in Seattle for two shows at the Paramount Theatre.  Barry asked Garry are you coming to the Pantages Theatre shows? Yes said Garry. I'm coming up out visit Kristen and see how she's doing with the company. Do you have a few minutes to listen to something said Barry. Yeah sure said Garry. What is it? Well I took Could It Be Magic which I wrote with Adrienne Anderson and gave it a romantic jazz feel to it. so Garry listened to the romantic jazz version of Could It Be Magic. Super cool said Garry. That sounds even better than the Take That  version that Brian Murphy does. You know the Take That BAM crotch  thrust version said Garry. Right said Barry. I always felt that dirtied the song with the erected crotch thrusts that Brian did said Barry. So where are you and Carly going on your honeymoon asked Garry?  We're not exactly sure what we're going to do. Since I don't have to be back in New York till Thursday October 1st when Here At The May Flower opens. Now Carly told me  her parents took the Crescent Limited train to New Orleans for their honeymoon. So we just might take a train somewhere. In fact last October Carly's parents took Amtrak's Adirondack from New York to Montreal. Then Via Rail's Canadian from Montreal to Vancouver. They made a few stops for two days stays in different Canadian cities along the way.  Carly said her parents loved doing that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment