Monday, March 16, 2015

Where To Go?

Where to go thought Barry. Maybe the train thing was a good idea. He had never took a good look at his own country up close. Whenever he was on tour it was here and there without taking time to look. So maybe taking a look around at the scenery was a good idea. Actually he had never taken the train. Just the subway in New York City. Other than that it was limos and vans to get from the airports to the hotels and theatres he played in. Also cars and SUV's when he drove himself or if others did the driving. So maybe sitting back and allowing someone else to get them there besides and airline pilot. Being able to see actual sights instead of clouds was sounding like a plan. So Barry called Carly's number. Hello said Carly. Hello Carly it's Barry. Ok what's up asked Carly. Have you ever taken a train? asked Barry. Have I ever taken a train. Yes I did when I was younger. My family went from New York City to Boston once. Then another time we went from New York City to Chicago. Dad said something about looking out the window and seeing the scenery as the train rolled down the track. Some of the scenery was nice and some wasn't especially when you went past junkyards. Why do you ask? asked Carly. I'm thinking we should take the trains for our honeymoon. It sure would
definitely be something different. Other than the usual Caribbean island, Mexican or Hawaiian island honeymoon. I use to do the beach thing however I got some melanoma on my face and had to have that removed. So I quit laying out in the sun to get a tan. I was also thinking about the train since I don't have to be back in New York until Thursday October 8th. That's  when Here At The Mayflower open on Broadway. Ok said Carly Where would we start and where would we go? Just then Barry heard a beep. Just a minute Barry said to Carly. Let me answer this. So hold on said Barry. Ok said Carly. Hello Barry it's Marc. Hi Marc what's up? asked Barry. Just so you know Verve Records got bought by Universal Music. Oh said Barry. The day to day responsibility for Verve label has been absorbed by its hip hop and pop operations Interscope Geffen A&M the home of Eminem and lady Gaga. I'm glad Garry got you not to sign with David Foster and Verve said Marc. That's when David Foster came calling and was trying to get you to change labels. I'm comfortable being on Concord Records jazz label Concord Jazz said Barry. David Foster sounded like another Clive Davis. A person who wants their artists to record nothing but cover albums.  Yes I know New York State Of Mind and Something's Comin' Up with More Something are cover albums. But I took the songs on those albums and gave them all jazz arrangements. In facet Something's Comin' Up and More Something have songs that I wrote with others or that I wrote by myself for Brain Murphy. I took the ones I liked and gave them jazz arrangements said Barry. Well I'll let you get back to whatever you were doing said Marc. Ok said Barry. I was talking to Carly about what we should do for our honeymoon. I was thinking about a train trip. Sounds like a great plan said Marc. Bye said Marc. Bye said Barry. Barry went back to Carly and said I'm back. That was Marc. I told him we were thinking about a train trip for our honeymoon. He said that sounds like a great plan said Barry. Marc was telling me about Verve records being swallowed up by Universal music's Interscope Geffen A&M. That's more hip hop stuff. David Foster did come calling a few years ago and wanted me to join Verve. I told him I wasn't interested in leaving Concord Records. I know why he wanted you to switch to his Verve label. It's because everything you've put out since your 1984 album 2:00AM Paradise Café has debuted on Billboards Hot 200 Album Chart at either number one or in the top five. Plus every time one of your albums came out they were certified Platinum or higher. How do you know that? asked Barry. I know that because I've been a fan of both your Broadway songwriting career and your jazz recording career said Carly. In fact back in 1984 when you did a record signing for 2:00AM Paradise Café I went to your signing at Tower records. I have that album in an album frame on my wall in the room where I keep my computer. I also have on a shelf on a shelving unit an autographed copy of Here At The Mayflower on CD. That's in a frame for keeping stuff like that. While you were talking to Marc. I was thinking we aught to stay at bed and breakfasts on our honeymoon instead of hotels. I also think the train trip instead of the beach or overseas destinations sound much better. What do you think about going to Montreal by Amtrak. Staying four nights and five days. Then taking Via Rail to Quebec City. Staying there four nights and five days. That sounds wonderful said Carly Oh don't forget we have a cake tasting on Thursday. I was thinking said Barry. What about assorted cupcakes for the guests instead of a piece of cake? We would still have a two tiered cake for us to share a piece. Then keep the top part for our first anniversary. Then we could have assorted cupcake flavors. Like chocolate, vanilla, carrot and a spice. Each cupcake could have white whipped cream frosting with an orange calla lily made from icing on the top. I like that idea said Carly. We already have the menu figured out. First course is either Spinach salad or French  onion soup. Main course  Chicken or  salmon, baked potato and asparagus. Eggplant ptarmigan for those who are vegetarian. Desert  is assorted fancy cookies and  cupcakes. Bar for those who like mixed drinks. wine and champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment