Friday, September 27, 2013

Jazzy Time At The Blue Note

After dinner Barry a hailed a cab to go to the Blue Note. Once there he got Abby a table next to the stage. He then told Abby he had to go to the men's room. The house lights went down before Barry got back. So Abby wondered how Barry was going to find his way back to the table in the dark. Out comes Russ McKinnon drums, David Rosenblat percussion, Stan Sargent bass, Mike Lent guitar, Ron Pedley  keyboards, Joey Malotti keyboards and musical director and Melanie Taylor vocals. Ladies and gentlemen Barry Manilow. Out walked Barry on to the stage. He started off with Paradise Café  from the album 2:00 AM Paradise Café.. Then Barry mentioned he was going to do some new stuff from his latest album Paradise Café II which was coming out in November. This was a follow up to his 1984 album 2:00 AM Paradise Café. Abby thought I didn't know that Barry was a jazz pianist. Or that he sang real good. Barry Manilow did about a ninety minute set. When Barry got to the table Abby said I didn't know about this. This is my secondary career said Barry. I've been doing this on and off since 1984. Starting in January I'll be going on the road and playing theatres. I hate arenas said Barry they're way too big. I love playing theatres with less than six thousand seats more intimate you know said Barry. We're kicking off the tour in Chicago Illinois at the Chicago Theatre  in December of this year. Then we're going all over the US through April 30th of 2019. December 28th through 31st.  I'll be at the Pantages Theatre in LA. So that's where I'll be ringing in  2020.  I'm also playing San Francisco, Denver, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Seattle, Detroit, Pittsburgh, New Orleans Atlanta, Columbia, Charlotte, Washington DC,  New Haven, Philadelphia, and Boston. Then I'm headed up north to Canada. Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver.  This should be a fun road trip since I'm traveling by train instead of by air. I've always wanted to travel by rail. Oh by the way I heard Brian Murphy is touring Florida in January and the UK in May said Barry. I know he's not promoting anything new. But then his fans love it when he does his dirty boy moves on stage. You know the raunchier the better. So I guess they don't care that he doesn't have any new material to show them said Abby. I have one of his earlier albums Here's Murphy.  It's ok but it's not my kind of music. I'm not in to mushy gushy songs. Barry said I better get you home so I can get up early tomorrow. You know the Virgin Mega Store Cd signing  tomorrow. Oh yeah right said Abby. Barry got Abby to her door and gave her a peck on the cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment